Validate the Tax Return
Before generating the IRmark the return is first validated against all published HMRC validations
Open the tax return for the client that you want to submit to HMRC.
Under Tax Return in the Ribbon or Task Bar click Online Filing. The Filing by Internet tab appears.
The Tax Return is automatically tested against HMRC validations.
If validation errors are found, these must be corrected before generation of the IRmark can proceed.
TIP: If the Task Bar is not visible, from the menu select View > Task Bar.
You need to include schedules for specific areas such as Capital Gains. Validation fails if you have not included a schedule for Capital Gains despite entering financial data relating to it. This or any other errors appear under Errors in document creation.
- Under Options choose one of the following to add schedules:
- Include all schedules as an attachment
- Include Capital Gains schedule as an attachment. This option is only available when Capital Gains financial data is present or the first option to include all schedules has not been selected.
- Include SA302 as an attachment
2. Click Preview to view or print the schedule.
3. Click the ellipse under Additional attachments. The Select PDF Attachment dialog appears for you to add other relevant docs in PDF format.
NOTE: The total size of all attachments for the tax return must not exceed 5MB after being converted into the format necessary for uploading to HMRC. This normally equates to a total size of around 3MB on disk. CCH Personal Tax will tell you when you have exceeded the available size and you will have to remove attachments before being able to file.
Generate the IRmark
When no validation errors exist, the IRmark is generated by selecting the Ribbon or Task Bar Generate IRmark option.
During the IRmark generation, Personal Tax:
- Saves data in all open windows
- Checks the database for any changes by other users
- Takes a snapshot of the Tax Return and stores this in the database
Note: Prior to 2010 the IRmark is generated automatically when all validations have successfully complete.