Installing CCH SecTAX
Before You Begin
The CCH SecTAX upgrade is designed to be as straightforward as possible. CCH Support is available to assist with any specific queries or problems you may meet, but regrettably are not able to talk through complete upgrades.
Alternatively, an on-site upgrade service is available at an additional cost; this service must be pre-booked in advance. Please contact CCH Software Support for further information.
Note: These instructions are designed for both the C-Tree and SQL versions of CCH SecTAX. In most respects the upgrade process is the same; where differences occur, they are pointed out in bold italics headed SQL Detour.
Preparing for the Upgrade
As with all software upgrades ensure that you have a current valid backup of your SecTAX programs and data before starting this upgrade.
All users must be logged out of CCH SecTAX while this upgrade is being loaded.
Check the location of your CCH SecTAX program and data folders before you begin. To check these locations start CCH SecTAX and do the following:
- Select File > Info. The Product Information window appears. Select the Library Information tab. The program location is displayed on the grey area of the tab itself against the annotation Files installed in directory:. Write it down below:
SQL Detour: The data folder is relevant for C-Tree databases only, so for SQL skip the check for the Database Files below and proceed straight to the section headed Installing CCH SecTAX.
- Select File > Info. The Product Information window appears. Select the Database Files tab. The data location for all the SecTAX data files appears in the white box in the centre of the tab. It is only necessary to note down two of these items for this update, those for Client Details and Common Data. Write them down below:
Tip: The last word following the last oblique is a filename, not a folder and should therefore not be included as part of the data path.
Running the Installation
Download the CCH SecTAX installation SETUP.EXE from the CCH Software Support website from Resources > Product Releases > SecTAX.
The CCH SecTAX Installation starts by displaying the SecTAX Maintenance window (see below). This window allows you to either reinstall/upgrade your existing version of CCH SecTAX, or uninstall the application. By default, the Reinstall/upgrade CCH SecTAX option is selected.
1. Click Next to continue.
The Choose install location for SecTAX Software window appears. The location into which the upgrade installs appears at the bottom left of the window under the heading Destination Folder. By default, this is shown as the location where you first installed your CCH SecTAX programs. Refer back to the note made of the location of the CCH SecTAX program and if necessary click Browse to change this to the correct drive and folder for your installation.
2. Click Next to continue.
The Choose the location for the SecTAX database window appears. The location in which CCH SecTAX looks for the data files appears at the bottom left of the window under the heading Destination Folder. By default, this is shown as the location where your data directory was previously created (often the program folder with Data added to the end). Refer back to the note made of the location of the CCH SecTAX data files and if necessary click Browse to change this to the correct drive and folder for your installation.
SQL Detour: SQL installations are not likely to have a specific data folder location since the data is contained on the SQL server. Accordingly for SQL, the database location should be left at the default suggested by the InstallShield Wizard.
3. Click Next to continue.
The Start Copying Files window appears. Ensure that the Program and Data locations are correct as displayed in the Current Settings window.
4. Click Next to start the installation process.
The Setup Status window appears while the upgrade is installed. A percentage bar shows the progress of the installation. Once the load is complete, the InstallShield Wizard Complete window appears.
5. Click Finish to close the installation routine and open the Release Notes. Take this opportunity to print off and review the Release Notes!
Your new CCH SecTAX software has now been installed.
Entering a new Telcode if needed
If a new Telcode (PIN Number) is issued it can be entered as follows:
1. In CCH SecTAX select File > Info.
2. Press “.”, i.e. press the full stop character.
3. The new Telcode is requested. Enter this from the accompanying documentation.
4. Click 'OK'. If it is invalid you are given an opportunity to re-enter it. If the Telcode is accepted exit completely from SecTAX.
5. Re-enter CCH SecTAX, select File > Info and check that the licensed options look correct.