Before you begin
About this Document
This document is a guide for installing CCH Corporation Tax IE 2015.3 on a standalone PC. To install the product on a network refer to the CCH Corporation Tax IE 2015.3 Network Install Guide.
This document is intended for tax professionals who have some experience with computer technology and have the time available to read it thoroughly and understand the content before proceeding with the upgrade. It is also suitable for IT and support staff tasked with installing the upgrade.
About CCH Corporation Tax IE 2015.3
CCH Corporation Tax IE 2015.3 is a complete rewrite of the previous version of the product. The rewrite uses current Microsoft technology, including Microsoft SQL Server for the database, thereby ensuring compatibility with current and new versions of Microsoft platforms for the foreseeable future. This is the same technology used for the recently released CCH Personal Tax IE.
If a previous version of Corporation Tax is present the company names and client codes may be imported. See Importing Company Names & Client Codes for guidance on how to carry out this task.
Before proceeding with this install ensure your PC(s) meet the minimum hardware and software specifications. Full details can be found in our System Requirements Specification
Information! Windows XP and Home editions of Windows are NOT supported platforms.
Warning: only carry out this section if you have a previous version of CCH Corporation Tax installed and wish to convert the data.
Before upgrading to Corporation Tax IE 2015.3, check and confirm that your existing installation of Corporation Tax IE meets the pre-requisite version of 2014.3.
- Start Corporation Tax IE (Compad) as normal.
- From the top tool bar select Help > About CCH Corporation Tax IE.
- The About CCH Corporation Tax IE window will appear as shown in the image below.
The pre-requisite version is 2014.3 as shown above (circled).
Installing the Software
Downloading the Upgrade
- Click here to visit the CCH Corporation Tax 2015.3 software download page.
- Review the page, paying particular attention to the Notes section and the Documentation section.
- Click the Download button and save the CCH_Corporation_Tax_IE_2015- 3_setup.exe file to a convenient location.
Note: Your account details are required for the System Administrator to complete this installation.
- Now proceed with the installation.
Program - Installation
- Locate the downloaded CCH_Corporation_Tax_2015-3_Setup.exe file and right-click.
The Open menu will appear.
- Click Run as Administrator.
- Click Unzip.
- Click OK.
- Close the WinZip Self-Extractor window.
- Browse to the newly created C:\CCH_Corporation_Tax_IE_2015-3\Install folder.
- Locate the CT_Setup file and right-click.
- Click Run as Administrator.
The CCH Corporation Tax IE Installation window will appear.
- Ensure the box against Install CCH Corporation Tax IE is ticked.
- If you DO NOT already have CCH Personal Tax IE installed on this computer, place a tick in the box against Install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
- Place a tick in the box against Install Blank Database.
- Click Install
The CCH Corporation Tax Installation window will appear. The installation will begin.
The installation time will vary depending upon whether Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008 r2 is being installed. With SQL Server 2008 r2 the installation time will typically be 15-30 minutes, without this component the installation time will be 2-3 minutes. During this time the CCH Corporation Tax IE Installation navigation window may show Not Responding in the top left hand corner of the screen, as shown below.
This is perfectly normal, and is merely indicative of your computer being busy installing Microsoft SQL Server.
Warning: During this time DO NOT reboot your Computer. This will cause an incomplete installation of Microsoft SQL Server from which recovery may be very difficult.
Installation is complete when the Close button becomes available and the CCH Corporation Tax IE installer window displays a status of Installation Complete.
- Click Close
Attaching to the Database and Licensing
- Locate the CCH Corporation Tax IE icon on the desktop of your computer and doubleclick to start the product.
The Change Database window will appear.
- In the Server Name box enter .\CCH
- In the Database Name box enter CCH_CTAX_data
- Leave Authentication and Network Protocol at their default settings of Windows Authentication and Named Pipes
- Click Test Connection
- Click OK
Note: if the Test Connection fails with a long error indicating that a network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server, check carefully that you have entered correctly the Server Name details. If the connection still fails refer to Appendix E.1 for further advice.
The Change Database window returns.
- Click OK
- Click OK
- Click Update
- Enter the default System Administrator account details noted at the time of download.
- Click OK
The licencing window will appear
Note: the Serial Number and submit this to CCH. Please create a case and attach the image.
A unique Activation Key is required to complete the installation. We recommend that you cut and paste a screenshot of the above window into an email (ensuring that the Serial Number is clearly shown). Take note to include your company name in the Subject line. Your Activation Key will be returned in due course.
- Close the licencing window and await an email from CCH containing your licence details.
When you receive the email containing your licence details, start CCH Corporation Tax IE, login as System Administrator and proceed as directed below.
- Select the Number of Clients, Number of Users(s) and Licence Renewal Date
- Enter the activation key that you have been sent into the Activation Key box
- Tick Show Warning
Note: be sure to enter the activation key exactly as supplied, including the hyphens separating the key into 4 digit blocks. Failure to do this will result in an Invalid Activation key message.
Importing Company Names & Client Codes
Only carry out this section if you have a previous version of CCH Corporation Tax installed and wish to import the company names and client codes.
Because CCH Corporation Tax IE 2015.3 is a new product there is a routine to import the Company Names and Client Codes from the old Compad product.
Note: Company Names and Client Codes may only be imported from the final release version of Compad 2014.3.
- Login to Corporation Tax 2015.3 with a system administrator account.
The product Desktop will open.
- From the top menu bar select Compad Import.
- Click the Ellipsis against the CCH Corporation Tax IE Database Path.
The Open window will appear.
Browse to the Corporation Tax IE 2014.3 database.
Note: the location of this path can vary, but the default location is C:\CCH ProSystem\taxpack. The default name for the database is Taxpack.mdb, but similar to the location this can also vary.
- Click Open
The list of clients available for import will appear.
- You may either select the Client you wish to import or place a tick in the Import All Client Information box to import all Company Names and Client Codes.
- Click Import
- Continue selecting other clients that you wish to upgrade.
CCH Corporation Tax IE 2015 now uses a Microsoft SQL database. SQL databases differ in their backup requirement from previous versions of CCH Corporation Tax IE (which used a Microsoft Access database).
To setup a backup plan for CCH Corporation Tax IE 2015 you have two particular choices. You may use either Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio or our own Backup and Restore program.
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio – this product is installed at the same time as Microsoft SQL Server with either CCH Corporation Tax IE or CCH Personal Tax IE . This product will allow you to take an ad hoc backup of the CCH database, but it will not allow you to schedule a backup because it is the Express edition.
- CCH Backup & Restore Utility v6.1 – this product may be downloaded and installed free of charge here. Installation and user guides are available on the site.
Please consult your local IT support to help you decide which of these options is best suited to the needs of you practice.
Warning: keeping adequate database is essential to ensure that your client data is adequately protected in case of systems failures, such as hard disk crashes or system corruption. DO NOT neglect this aspect of the installation!