Using fields from Reports in a template
To create or amend an existing template using merge fields from Reporting or Smart Reports:
1. On the Find Clients screen, select a client or multiple clients.
2. Click on Mail Merge Wizard from the Tasks tab within the ribbon.
3. In Stage One of the wizard, select Output: Letters and click Next.
4. In Stage Two, select Reports from the Data Source section, and click on the drop down box to display the available reports.
The relevant report icons have been used, to distinguish between CCH Reporting and Smart reports.
5. Select a report.
6. Select an existing template from the grid and click Edit Template in the ribbon bar. Alternatively if creating a new template, click Add New Template. The Word template file opens within the ‘open application bar’.
Within Insert Merge Fields, all relevant reporting fields are prefixed with Report_
7. Select Insert > Table and insert the required number of columns. Position the cursor within the first cell of the table.
8. Still within the Insert Tab, navigate to Quick Parts > Field. The Field window appears.
9. Select MergeField from the Field names list.
10. Under the Field Properties column, enter the following text in the Field Properties column, enter the following text in the Field name box: TableStart:ReportData.
Click OK. (As a result, «TableStart:ReportData» appears in the first cell of the table.)
In order for the merge to work, the text is required to be entered exactly as above. The report name can only belong to one table.
11. Position the cursor within the last cell of the table and select Quick Parts > Field from the ribbon bar.
12. Select MergeField from the Field names list.
Under the Field Properties column, enter the following text in the Field name box: TableEnd:ReportData.
13. Click OK. (As a result, «TableEnd:ReportData» appears in the last cell of the table.).
In order for the merge to work, the text is required to be entered exactly as above. The report name can only belong to one table1
14. After the TableStart/TableEnd details have been inserted, the report fields are then added (Found under the Mailings Tab).
15. Add the first field into the first column after <<TableStart:ReportData>>
16. The last field required is added in the last cell of the table before <<TableEnd:ReportData>>
Column headers can be added in a row above that containing the report fields.
TIP: Please ensure when selecting the fields to be added that the field is prefixed with Report_
17. Save template and close word.
Running mail merge after amending template
After closing the word template, re-select the template and click next to continue.
Notes: The report name currently does not display within the Query column. To enable users to identify the templates and their associated reports, CCH suggests that the Template Name is amended to include the report name as a Prefix to the Template Name.
Running a mail merge for existing associated template
To run a mail merge using an existing template already associated with a report, select the relevant template, then select the Reports option from Stage one and locate the applicable report. Click next and continue with the mail merge as normal.