The Add/Edit TB Loading Instruction Line screen appears as follows. It is the same for both Master and Client TB Loading instructions.
The options that appear depend on the TB type. The three types are:
- Normal. The options for a Normal TB are shown above and they are described below.
- Calculated. This is used for performing calculations based on other Saved Trial Balances.
- Beneficiary TB. This is used to produce a trial balance for a beneficiary when each beneficiary is represented either by its own subaccount or by a character in the account code. It is explained in Beneficiary TB Concepts and Beneficiary TB Screen.
Accounts Production accesses loaded trial balances using a letter to identify the trial balance. For instance in Accounts Production =AP(“p,0001”) means "get the balance on account 0001 for trial balance p". Letters "a" to "f" are reserved by the system: "a" is current year, "b" is comparative and so on. This leaves letters "g" to "z" for the user to define. Enter the required letter here.
Accounts Production also gives each Saved Trial Balance a Name. In VAP an account balance could be obtained by using the name in a formula, e.g. =@MAY15@,0001, but this is not supported in AP. In any case, most users prefer to use the letter notation to access a balance.
Usually the trial balance is for the client for whom the accounts are being produced. However it can be useful to access trial balances from other clients. This could be useful if several clients’ trial balances need to be consolidated.
If so, tick Different Client and select the client in the Select edit box. The client must belong to the same client class. As usual the F2 key is available.
The Report Dates work in the same way as for a normal trial balance. The options are:
- Client’s Year to produce a trial balance for the client’s year.
- To Date to produce a trial balance that includes all entries up to today’s date. This may include entries after the client’s year end.
- Selected Dates to produce a trial balance for a selected period. Note that the period should not start before the client’s year start date. The period start and end dates are entered in the From and To boxes below.
- Last Year to produce a comparative TB. This option is only available if Different Client is ticked. (The TB will be rounded according to the rounding options for this client).
- Previous Year to produce a TB of precomparatives.
If ticked, then the system will automatically value the client’s portfolio at the trial balance end date and post the result as a memorandum posting into the client’s trial balance. This allows Accounts Production to pick up the market value of the portfolio and display it as part of the accounts.
Balance Sheet figures are usually picked up as at the trial balance end date. However it can be useful to report on the movement on an account during the reporting period. Ticking Movements causes the trial balance to reflect the movement in the period for all accounts rather than just for the P&L accounts. (P&L accounts are defined by setting up a P&L Range in the client class).